söndag 19 juli 2009

"I am quite aware of his perverse habit

of magnifying and falsifying. Spinoza realized that all things strive to persist in their own nature: the stone eternally wishes to be stone and the tiger a tiger. I shall subsist in Borges, not in myself (assuming I am someone), and yet I recognize myself less in his books than in many another, or than in the intricate flourishes played on a guitar. Years ago I tried to free myself from him, and I went from the mythologies of the city suburbs to games with time and infinity, but now those games belong to Borges, and I will have to think up something else. Thus is my life a flight, and I lose everything, and everything belongs to oblivion, or to him. I don't know which one of the two of us is writing this page."

Ur Borges and I
Jorge Luis Borges
Översättning: Anthony Kerrigan

Inga kommentarer: